Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Veteran's Day

Veteran's Day is a special day set aside to honor the millions of men and women who've served their country in the military. All over America people who care gather together to honor veterans, those men and women who served to protect our land, sacrificing their own dreams to preserve our nation, keeping America the land of the free for more than 200 years.

My Papa served in the military from 1943-1946 during WWII. He was a military policeman. While I have always been very proud of him, I have to stop and think on days like today, what life must have been like for him during that time. I think about all of the things he had to sacrifice in order to protect our country.

This is a picture of me and the boys with my Papa last year on Veteran's Day.

I think Veteran's Day is my Papa's favorite day of the year. He gets to dress up in his military uniform and talk and reminisce all day about his experiences in the war. And he also gets to be on t.v. Every year channel 11 goes to Ed's Bakery where my Papa and all his buddies have coffee every morning and interview them and talk about what Veteran's Day means to them. It is a great honor for him and he loves it!!!


Just an interesting side note I found:
This holiday was not always called Veterans Day, it was established in 1919 by President Woodrow Wilson as Armistice Day because World War I ended on the 11th hour of the 11th month of 1911. It wasn't until 1945 that Congress changed the name for this holiday.

No comments: